10.26.2010

Why I don't/do work.

I was thinking this morning.  This is a rare occurrence since Lucas was born as normally my next thought is, "Okay 3 hours till Lucas goes to sleep." or "2 hours until nap time." or "Must drink more coffee." or "12 years of martial arts training allowed me to parry and block the incoming toy aimed at my head." and that thought is mostly followed by "OW, I just got head butted in the groin.  I better pay more attention."

But I digress, the reason I stay motivated at work is because we have a goal/milestone/deliverable.  Now, at work, we've delivered our silly deadline (but not really a deadline) piece of work.  And for the past two days, I haven't wanted to do a damn thing at work.  Although at home, I emptied the litter boxes, cleaned up the kitchen a bit, and burned some video CD/DVDs for a friend.  There is no real deadline/plan at work so I guess I'm just left to my own devices to figure out what needs to be done.

That just doesn't work for me.  I like an overall goal and then a plan to get there with sub-goals.  At home we do the same thing.  Ally makes a list because its her OCD and way of procrastination combo thingy that happens but we know what we need to get done and usually it gets done.

You'd think that a company could do the same thing or would REQUIRE that thing.

So to the point of all this - it doesn't matter whether I'm at home or in the office.  I will do work if there is a plan and a deadline to meet.  It doesn't matter if Lucas is screaming in my ear, flinging oatmeal, flinging poo, or doing stage dives off the coffee table.  If there isn't a plan then it doesn't matter where I'm at.  I'm being a lazy shit.

1 comment:

  1. I'm like that too. No deadline means it doesn't *really* have to be done. That's why my house is such a freakin' mess.

    ReplyDelete